This combination did not work out so well.
This combination did not work out so well.

Sometimes I can’t sleep. The inability to quiet my mind persists, more so with the lengthening nights. Sleepytime Tea, Kava Tea, Tension Tamer – none take the edge off quite enough. Pot historically dries my throat and eyes out so much I wake up for water and eyedrops anyway. So, on the recommendation of a few friends, I bought a melatoni-herbal concoctioon and quite looked forward to trying it last night.

Except Nick’s blood sugar, at the midnight check, after a day of near-perfect numbers, was 358. Which meant another check was needed at 2 a.m., possibly a set change if the number was still too high. I reset the alarm from 5 a.m. – clearly I would not hit the gym at 5:30 a.m. as I’d hoped – to 2 a.m.

358. Nick woke up mumbling about being low on insulin, the propensity for air bubbles to sometimes form under the circumstances. “Just get me a new reservoir and the insulin bottle,” he said, shaking off his sleepiness for a few moments. I did. He sat up, disconnected one thing, filled another, went through steps I don’t even fully know myself as he’s been so competent, I haven’t had to learn. “I can’t handle the needle stuff right now, Mom,” he said. “This should work. Please.” Okay, I said. But if his blood sugar hadn’t dropped at 4 a.m., we’d have to switch out the set tubing.

At 4 a.m., his blood sugar had dropped – to 261. Not perfect, but a solid indicator of improvement.

At 6 a.m., the meter gave the good news of 104. Fantastic.

At 7 a.m., I made peanut butter toast and sliced some Fieldbrook Jonagolds for K, told Nick he could sleep in, go to school after he had a chance to rest.

At 8 a.m., the sweet taste of Earl Grey with milk and sugar lingering, I took Kaylee to school, put gas in the car. When I arrived home, Nick was already in the shower, not wanting to miss 2nd period. I made him seitan and toast, made myself some, too. We changed his set, me forcing the needle into his back, just above his hip, him holding on to the table, swearing it didn’t hurt.

At 9 a.m., I left another mug of Earl Grey steeping and took him to school.

I’ve been working for the past three hours, wondering if I chance a nap, hoping tonight results in good numbers for him and some sleep for me.