I wanted to leave at 6 a.m. for our 1 p.m. appointment. Nick and I pulled away at 8:30 a.m. More rushed than I’d hoped, but traffic stayed minimal, as did our stops, and we walked into the clinic at 1 p.m. sharp. We spent the first hour-and-a-half discussing celiac disease and the endoscopy Nick will need. The doctor explained the procedure: Nick will be out, they’ll use an IV and breathing tube, then slide a camera tool down his throat to view inside his intestines and take some tissue samples. Nick took the description in stride, reassured that he’d be unaware of it all. I, however, felt woozy.

Chelsea, already in the City with friends, walked over to the hospital from where she’d been having lunch on Irving. We waited around together for the diabetes appointment. An hour later, the assistant finally called Nick’s name. Dr. Reed relayed his A1C level, 6.6, which is right on target, so that was good news. I’d been worried about those highs and how they can contribute to the development of serious eye, kidney and nerve disease.

At least we’re not living in 1915. From “Starvation Treatment of Diabetes” (1915): “For forty-eight hours after admission to the hospital the patient is kept on an ordinary diet, to determine the severity of his diabetes. Then he is starved, and no food allowed save whiskey and black coffee. The whiskey is given in the coffee: 1 ounce of whiskey every two hours, from 7am until 7pm. The whiskey is not an essential part of treatment; it merely furnishes a few calories and keeps the patient more comfortable while he is being starved.”

After a total of four-and-a-half hours of doctors and waiting, we paid our $13.75 for parking and worked our way through traffic to our friends’ house in the Richmond. And what would San Francisco be without indulging in the local cuisine? We ordered Chinese: hot-and-sour soup, garlicky flounder and shimp. Mmmmmmmmm. I’d considered trying to catch a show at Café du Nord per MD’s recommendation, but funds were running low, so instead we watched Zoolander and snuggled into bed.

I met my brother for coffee in the Mission, then picked up Chelsea and Nick for breakfast. As is our custom, at The Crepevine back on Irving. Normally I’d get this Greek-themed concoction featuring kalamata olives, almonds, spinach and roasted eggplant, but I decided in favor of prudence for once and ordered a side of house potatoes. The kids chose sweet crepes – Nutella, chocolate syrup, strawberries, whipped cream, ice cream – that looked (and tasted, I discovered when stealing a bite) utterly decadent. We left Chelsea at K’s house, then Nick and I drove through the drizzle into the sunshine of Marin, Sonoma, Mendocino. A stop in Willits revealed the famed Willits Skate Park, which lived up to its reputation as “really cool!” After about half-an-hour, some vital part fell off Nick’s board, so off we went, finally rolling into Humboldt about 5:30 p.m. We’re due to return in September.